Tuesday, August 26, 2008

One Year Ago... Part 1

One year ago today, Josh and I were sitting in our room at Sinai (with my dad, intermittently) watching contractions go by on the monitor and watching endless repeats of a CNN story telling us that redheads were going extint because they weren't marrying one another, and that, in so many years, there would be no more redheads... Funny, we thought nothing of the story at the time.

We arrived at Sinai at 6:00am, and were checked into our room at 6:40am. I was scheduled to be induced, but because I was already having frequent contractions, they decided not to start the induction medication, but just to see how things went. We hung out, relaxed, watched TV, etc... My dad was wearing his pink polo shirt in anticipation of meeting the newest little girl in the family. Time dragged on rather slowly, and at 8pm they said I still hadn't progressed enough, and that we would be there overnight. I got upset, I wasn't feeling well and was tired... I wanted to meet "her" already. That's when the nasty night nurse told me to suck it up, that some women come in and don't have babies for 3 days, and that it was too bad. Bad hospital experience part 1.

Later that night, Josh and I were watching either the season finale, or close to it, of Entourage... It runs from 10-10:30pm. at about 10:25, I felt that "pop" that I've heard so much about, and sure enough, my water had broken. We called for the nurse, and that's when the fun began. Poor Josh, he later told me that all he could think about at the time was "Damn, I'm going to miss the end of Entourage!!"

Dr. Herbst was at the hospital, and stopped by to check on us... At 11, he offered to let me have an epidural, to head off the serious pain... I happily obliged. Ah, if only the epidural experience ended there!! Note to self, never let a nurse anesthetist on the midnight shift deliver an epidural... that's a story in an of itself (Bad hospital experience part 2). Once I was fully medicated, however, Josh and I tried to get some sleep, knowing that soon the real fun would begin... And begin it did. But... that's a story for tomorrow... Jenna's first birthday!!

In the meantime, we just got back from the beach, and I have TONS of pictures to post!! stop by later!

No comments: