Monday, December 15, 2008

Shoe

Jenna taught herself the word "Shoe" last week. I guess she's used to hearing us say "put your shoes on." She NEVER keeps her shoes on in the car, no matter how well I think I secure them to her feet, she manages to get them off and toss them into the depths underneath the seats, so I spend what seems like hours searching around for her shoes when we arrive at our destination. This weekend, though, I was driving, and I hear her saying "shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe" over and over again, in different inflections. I look back at her, and she had taken off her shoe and was just holding it up to her face, talking to it, saying shoe shoe shoe...

This continued all weekend. Whenever she saw a pair of shoes, she wouldn't just say "shoe"... no, it was "shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe" I wore my heavy Ugg boots to the Ravens game last night, and when we got home, we stood her up inside them (they take up half her body) and she just stood there cracking up, saying "shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe." This morning, I was trying to get her ready for daycare, and she was sitting in her high chair chanting "wa-ffle, wa-ffle" (her favorite breakfast). I was running around trying to get everything, and finally I said, "Jenna, are you ready to go?" She looked around, and, before saying "yes" or "up" which she would normally say, she said "Shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe" Sure enough, I had forgotten to put her shoes on. I thanked her for the reminder, and off we went. Of course, by the time we got to daycare, her shoes and socks were both buried in the mess that has become my backseat, and I had to kneel in the cold parking lot trying to find her shoes. From now on I'll just put on her "shoe shoe shoe shoe shoe" once we arrive at our destination!!

No comments: