Monday, December 8, 2008

Little Diva

I'm a little concerned that I'm raising a future diva. Last night Jenna went to bed at 6pm... way earlier than normal, but she was really really tired. She went to bed without a fight and actually seemed relieved to be in her crib. Josh went to the Raven's game, and at 10pm, I went to sleep. At 11:30, I woke up to Jenna screaming. Completely asleep, I stumbled into her room, brought her into bed with me, and turned on one of her baby boost tv shows, cuddling up with her so she couldn't get away. Clearly during the 12 minutes of her tv show, I fell asleep. Also during that time, Josh got home. He tip toed up to bed to see if I was still asleep. Instead, I woke up to his laughter... he walked into our bedroom to find me passed out and Jenna (who he assumed was asleep in her crib) wide awake, watching tv, and saying "hi!" to him. Nice parenting, Liz.

After that, I sleepily explained that she had woken up, and asked him to take her so I could resume my peaceful sleep. Peaceful... ha. I listened to Josh trying to get Jenna back to bed, and Jenna refusing to sleep, until 12:45am. Finally she dozed off, as did we. This morning, at 7am, it was time to go, and thus time to wake Jenna.

Normally when I walk in her room, if she's not yet awake, she hears me and scampers to her feet, holding her arms out and ready to get up. This morning, however, she clearly was not ready to start her day. I walked in, looked down on her, and she looked back up at me. Instead of standing up, smiling, etc, she simply said "Bye" and put her head back down. It was as though she was telling me "get outta here, woman, you're disturbing my sleep!!" I started laughing and told her it was time to go to daycare. She begrudgingly stood up and instead of just picking up her normal pink blanky, she also picked up the fleece blanket that is supposed to cover her during the night (but always winds up on the opposite side of the crib) as if to say, "fine, I'll get up, but not without showing you how much I don't want to!!" So I changed her diaper, and then she said bye to her blanky like normal, dropping it into her crib.

We went to dispose of the dirty diaper, and just as she did saturday, she ran back into her room, grabbed her pink blanky, and this time, while running back out to show it to me, she was cracking up hysterically. I must have laughed and found it funny when she did it over the weekend, so now she thinks she the smartest kid in the world that she figured out how to defy my "say goodbye to blanky" system. I managed to get it away from her with the promise that another blanky waited downstairs (the perks of buying them in multiples... there's always another one handy somewhere!)

She is turning into such a little sneak!! Over the weekend, she was hungry, so she went to the pantry, got a box of triscuits, and brought it to me in the den. I said "are you hungry?" she said "yes!" so I said "go put back the triscuits and I'll give you some yogurt." I expected her to just look at me blankly, holding out the triscuit box until I caved and gave her one, but instead she toddled back into the kitchen, actually put the triscuits back in the pantry, and went over and stood next to her high chair, patiently waiting for me to pick her up. It's amazing how much they understand at this age!!

15 months is a fun age, but I'm also ready for her to be able to communicate a little better and tell me what she wants (though she has no problem saying "eat eat eat!").

So... tell me what you think... right now, her hair is in her face. It's very hard to keep out of her face during the day at daycare because she won't keep a bow or pigtails in her hair. For that reason, we're tempted to cut her bangs so at least the hair isn't in her eyes. At the same time, though, I really don't want her to have bangs, I want to just let her hair grow out so it can go off to the side. I think her daycare teachers are going nuts, though, cause her hair is always in her face (i'll take a picture later). What do you think, are bangs cute, or should I just let it grow and find ways to keep it out of her eyes? She looks SO much cuter with her hair off her face!!!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

no bangs! it'll be so cute when her hair gets really long. but, i understand the functionality of bangs, and will understandshould you so choose to cut them. i am sure she will look darling as ever.

Liz said...

Neither of us wants to cut them, but her hair is so thin and won't stay out of her eyes (since she won't cooperate with keeping it up). I seriously think the daycare teachers are going to chop it off out of frustration and tell us she had an accidental run-in with the scissors during art time!