I hope you had a nice Fathers' Day Weekend!! We definitely had a very relaxing weekend... well, I should say I had a very relaxing weekend, because I basically slept. The entire weekend. If you know me, you know that's not typical of me, however I hadn't slept at all during the previous 96 hours, so sleep was definitely on the agenda. In a bit of a reverse mothers/fathers day, Josh surprised me by booking the massage he had given me a gift certificate for on mother's day, so I spent a wonderful hour at the spa on Saturday morning while he stayed home with a still-recovering Jenna. How's that for a wonderful father!?!
Speaking of "still-recovering..." that's another story. Jenna survived her first (and hopefully last) bout of the "hand foot and mouth" virus. I suppose it gets that name because it can lead to a rash on the hands and feet, neither of which Jenna had, but she did have a very high fever, and blisters in the back of her throat (so says the doctors office, they were never visible to us). Basically, she could not/would not eat OR drink anything from Tuesday morning through Friday night. Saturday was a bit better, and by Sunday she was fine. We are very fortunate to have wonderful parents in town who could watch her during the day, but the poor little boo was completely miserable that it was tough to think about anything else all week. She would try to drink something, then grab her mouth screaming and crying, clearly in pain from having ANY liquid in her throat. She stayed up all night long just screaming and wanting to be with us in our bed (and if you know Jenna, you know how miserable she really must have been, because in her 22 months, she has never slept a single night in our bed, by her own choice, until last week). She also developed a particular affinity for "mommy!!" everything had to be "mommy!!!" but that seems to have passed now that she's feeling better. It is definitely heartbreaking to see your little baby in so much pain... I suppose this is true no matter how big they get!
Jenna did have one upside from her illness, however... on Friday afternoon I stopped at the grocery store to pick up ANY liquid I thought she might possibly drink, because we were so worried about dehydration. This included chocolate milk, and fruit juice by some manufacturer that brilliantly licensed the rights to elmo... I'm sure whatever it cost in licensing fees has been more than made up in sales, because I can't imagine there is a single toddler who will walk down the juice aisle and not demand "Elmo juice!!!" If there is such a toddler, it certainly isn't mine!! She wasn't very interested when she was still sick, but on saturday she took a liking, and by Sunday all I heard was "chocolate milk!!!" this morning, she would not eat breakfast, she would not drink milk, nothing... all she wanted was "Elmo juice!!!" Oh well, at least she's healthy and hydrated! I'll worry about sugar dependency later!
I have so much updating to do about what a character little Jenna has become... for now, it's late, so I'll leave you with a few quick pictures from this weekend. Not the most flattering of her, but I just had to include this picture to show what a hysterical, amazing time she had swimming with her daddy on Fathers' Day. Is this a daddy's girl, or what!?!?
(must click on this picture to see the sheer joy in Jenna's face!!)
I also have a video of them swimming together... basically Josh would push the raft away, and Jenna would yell "bye bye!" then Josh would rush towards her, and she would crack up hysterically, and demand "more," so this continued over and over again until Jenna was literally turning blue and shaking from the cold (it's not easy to be out of the water on a raft unless it's super hot out, which it wasnt). Even despite her obvious chill, Jenna was FURIOUS when we took her out of the pool. When we got home from daycare tonight, she immediately found her yellow floaties, put them on each arm, and demanded "swimming pool!!" Someone likes the water!!
Here is a pathetic attempt at a family picture from Fathers' day... unfortunately I look pale and zombie-like (I really thought I had caught up on sleep by then!) and Jenna is eating and not looking at the camera. BUT, it's father's day, and Josh looks good, so that's all that matters.
Here is a random picture of Jenna and flurry on Saturday, that I'm posting because Josh got a kick out of it. Jenna is obsessed with flurry, as I've mentioned before. Here, flurry had jumped into my chair after dinner, hoping to score some leftovers. As soon as she got up there, Jenna immediately jumped into the chair to join her, and proceeded to hug her until Flurry gave up and jumped down. Ignoring Flurry's scary eyes, and the chocolate all over Jenna's face, it's hard not to look at this picture and see a little girl playing with her dog... where did my baby go, and who is this child that took her place?! she's so grown up!!
On that note... Jenna is increasingly hysterical lately. She has a full vocabulary and randomly busts out with the most amusing words/sentences/requests. I guess a lot of the kids in her daycare class are starting to turn 2, because out of nowhere, Jenna has come home lately saying "happy birthday to you!" it's really cute and totally stunted... if I can make it come across in a blog, it sounds like "HAPP-y BIR-day... to you" (emphasis on the happy birthday, with the "to you" as an afterthought). She says it over and over, like she's trying to sing it.
She can also sing "No more monkey's jumping on the bed." Well, just that line of the song, but it's still the longest sentence we've heard her say. What's even funnier though, is when that song comes on, even if she's not really listening or paying attention... it's completely instinctual... when the lyrics get to "one fell off and bumped his head" she immediately starts hitting her hand to her head. Then when it goes "Momma called the doctor and the doctor said..." she starts wagging her finger like she's saying "no no no." If she's paying attention, thats' where she'll also say "no more monkeys jumping on the bed!" She also knows the beginning of "twinkle twinkle little star" and the ABC's. I think she watches too many nursery rhyme shows at home.
Among her other random habits lately... I think I must work from home too much, because any time Jenna sees a stack of papers, or books (even if it's my law school books on my book shelf) she points to them and says "Mommy work!" What else? let's see... she's fond of demanding "piggy back" rides (which sound like "pibby back", and its' too cute not to give in whenever she asks... and with 55 stairs separating our rooms from the bottom floor of my dad's house, I can't say I blame her for wanting a ride!). She's also gotten very demanding lately... if she sees a book, it's "book! mommy read it!" and if daddy's tries to read it... temper tantrum (or vice versa). Basically, because she can now identify what she wants, and how she wants it to happen, she completely flips out if she does not get her way, 100%
Oh, I suppose because for the last 22 months of her life, we've been pointing to pictures of things and saying "what's that?" "whose that?" she now likes to run to the line of pictures in my dad's stairwell and point to a particular family picture of me, my brother, and my parents from my dad's 50th birthday, and point to everyone... while pointing, she yells at you, "whose that?" she doesn't actually want you to answer, she wants to answer herself, but she has to do the asking... once she asks, you then ask "who is that?" and she'll tell you... Unca Geg, Gandpa, Mommy... she recently learned who Grandma is, although half the time she says "Gandma" and half the time she says "Di-yann" Then if you ask her her middle name, she'll say "Di-yann" again. No idea if she knows it's really her middle name, but we're getting closer to an understanding. It's still cool to see her recognize and acknowledge my mom!
Oh, one last thing thats' really amusing, and I'll have to figure out how to upload from Josh's iphone... Josh does these workouts at home, and the other day, Jenna and I came upstairs as he was finishing up his push ups. Jenna had never seen push ups before, and was clearly quite amused by them. When he finished, she got down on the ground and started doing her own push ups. Then she went downstairs and demanded grandpa do some push ups. Now, when you ask, she'll literally drop and give you 20!! Josh's dad got her on video briefly last night... I'm trying to pull this from the iphone, but I don't know if it'll work. If it does, this doesn't even show how she normally does it, because she was outside on a deck, and in a dress, etc, but she normally gets down on the ground and does her "push ups." It's still pretty cute!




No comments:
Post a Comment