Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Memory Madness!

I think we've reached the stage in mental development where memory skills start to show themselves. A week or so ago, I was sitting in the back seat of the car with Jenna while Josh drove. She was getting antsy, so I put a piece of chewing gum in my mouth and started blowing bubbles to amuse her. She got a huge kick out of them, and somehow identified them as bubbles (which surprised me, considering how different a chewing gum bubble looks to the bubble-blowing she's used to).

Fast forward to this morning... we got in the car to take Jenna to Josh's parents house (daycare was closed due to the lovely weather). I hadn't sat in the back with Jenna since the time I mentioned above. As SOON as I sat down in the car, she said "bubble?" I was confused for a minute, thinking maybe she was asking for a bottle (she calls them bobbles), but that didn't make sense. I said "what?" she said bubble! and repeatedly said bubble emphatically over and over again. I finally caught on, put a piece of chewing gum in my mouth, and munched away until it was soft enough to blow bubbles. Once she saw the gum in my mouth, she got all excited and picked up the speed of her "bubble! bubble!" demands.

I blew some bubbles and a good time was had by all. It just amazed me that, a week after the initial event, Jenna's memory immediately associated "mommy sitting in the back seat with me" with "blowing bubbles"

Clearly she's going to be a rocket scientist :-)

No comments: